Things you didn’t know about plastic bagsby Morplan | 24th February, 2015
• The first plastic bags were introduced in 1957
• Supermarkets started using plastic carrier bags in 1977
• There is a floating landmass of plastic in the Pacific Ocean the size of Texas
• Around 17 billion plastic bags are given away every year in the UK
• A minke whale washed up in Normandy in 2002 had 800kg of plastic bags in its stomach
• Approximately 60 to 100 million barrels of oil are used every year in the manufacture of plastic bags.
• Bungling robber Jamie Neil, decided to us a clear plastic carrier bag as a disguise whilst holding up a petrol station in St Austell, Cornwall. He was later arrested and sentenced to two years in jail.
• Brianna Garriss, a ceramics and sculpture student from Maryland, USA has created a wedding dress using recycled white plastic carrier bags.
• 98% of plastic carrier bags ordered from Morplan before 4pm are delivered the next working day.
Recent Blog Items
by Stacey Sitton | 14th September, 2016
by Stacey Sitton | 24th August, 2016
by Stacey Sitton | 18th August, 2016
by Stacey Sitton | 29th July, 2016
by Stacey Sitton | 19th July, 2016
by Stacey Sitton | 16th June, 2016