Scottish Fisheries Museumby Becky Francis | 27th April, 2017
The Scottish Fisheries Museum have recently used us to revamp their shop. Here you can view some photos of the new store layout and see some of our products in action! We also spoke to them about the Museum, it’s history and their experience with us.
- Can you give a brief overview of the museum – when it was first opened, a bit of history behind it, etc?
The Museum first opened on the 4th of July 1969, its aim, to preserve the material evidence of a declining Scottish Fishing industry. Over the years the Museum has expanded to include a number of adjacent 18th and 19th century properties, all associated with fisher families. The Museum is an independent charitable trust. There is a Board of Trustees who are responsible for all policy decisions and general management of the Museum. Full and part time staff manage the day to day running of the museum and since the early days we have relied upon the generosity of people who have been willing to give up their time to help with the running of the museum as Volunteers.
- How has the museum changed over the years? (Or has it not?)
It has grown in size since its early days but this is the first time we have really refurbished the front of house.
- Do you get many international visitors at the Museum?
Yes, lots. The East Neuk of Fife is a popular tourist destination.
- Are there any struggles you have faced over the years?
As a charity we have always had financial challenges to overcome to to develop the museum to what it is now.
- What have been some highlights over the last few years – have there been any special occasions or celebrations?
Our 40th Anniversary and soon it will be our 50th!
- What Morplan products are a particular favourite or are most useful for your shop?
The freestanding Heritage range has been perfect for us with its rustic appearance and the flexibility it offers in layout choices- along with the Slatwall which we are using to display goods.
- Have you used Morplan in the past or is this the first time?
This is the first time and we are very happy with the great service and communication when dealing with the Glasgow branch (particularly Chris who has been really helpful) – also great value for money particularly when on a tight budget!
Recent Blog Items
by Morplan | 4th August, 2017
by Becky Francis | 15th June, 2017
by Becky Francis | 5th June, 2017
by Becky Francis | 25th May, 2017
by Becky Francis | 19th May, 2017
by Becky Francis | 27th April, 2017